My son loves to work with his hands. He loves to work with things that are soft and “squishy”. It relaxes him and calms him down. Several years ago, he had a therapist who worked with him, and she used “moon sand” in some of his sessions. The “moon sand” was “squishy” and calmed him while working on his ability to have things on his hands. As much as he loved the “moon sand”, I always wondered what chemicals were in it. I’m happy to have found a recipe for a more natural moon dough, Peppermint Scented Moon Dough!
Peppermint Scented Moon Dough
- 4 cups of white flour
- ½ cup of baby oil
- 5-7 drops of peppermint essential oil
- Mixing Bowl
- Red food coloring, optional
- In your mixing bowl, add the 4 cups of flour and ½ cup of baby oil. Mix well.
- Add 3-4 drops of the red food coloring and the 5-7 drops of peppermint oil. Knead the dough, so the color disperses.
- Take the mixture into your hands and knead it. The heat from your hands will help form it and soften it into shape.
- To use your moon dough, just form the dough in your hand or in molds to make a variety of shapes. If the dough is still too crumbly, add a few drops of baby oil at a time until it is the consistency you wish.
Store your peppermint moon dough in an air tight container when not in use, and it should stay fresh for weeks. Should it lose its consistency, just add a few more drops of baby oil and mix until softened again.
I don’t know exactly what was in the commercially produced “moon sand”, but I would like to think that what is in this moon dough is better for my kids than the commercial product. I hope your kids have a great time with this moon dough!
Disclaimer: I’ve been reading about the benefits of essential oils and have started using some myself. Having said that, I also have read that some essential oils should not be used on really young kids. Please research for yourself before using this or any other essential oil on your children. Also, the moon dough is not for eating. (I’m sorry I had to type that, and I hope that no one would even consider it…)
[email protected] says
Wow… looks so easy and I love that there are no chemicals!
Stephanie Keeping says
Oh fun! I know my son would love to make some moon dough!
this makes me want to play with moon dough!
Jeni B says
This is SO clever! I love that there aren’t chemicals in it, and it’s peppermint!
This is so cool! Thank you for sharing with us on Brag About It!